Frequently Asked Questions | books on demand publishing | publish on demand services | self publish print on demand
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the meaning of on demand publishing?
- Who will benefit from self publishing?
- How quickly can I see my books in print?
- What is the objective of Self publish print on demand?
- Self Publish print on demand- how does it work?
- What are my financial benefits? What do I gain? How do I recover the money I am investing?
- Does on demand publishing close the door to major publishing houses?
- Do I keep copyright with myself?
- Can I use my logo/brand-name instead of yours as the publisher?
- Does the author keep the film / movie rights for her/his book?
- Guess the names of famous authors who have self-published?
- Do you publish books in any language?
- Why do I come to Power Publishers instead of printing my book myself from a local printing press?
- Do you publish all types of books? Are there any books you do not publish?
- Can I organize a book launching event / function / ceremony for my book?
- What is the default size of your books?
- Do I need editing/proofreading service?
- Do I need typesetting service?
- What is a video book trailer? How does it help my book?
- What printing technology do you use?
- What is a ‘business card’?
- Why do I need posters? What is the size of a poster? What does it look like?
- In what format can I submit my manuscript?
- If a major conventional publisher wants to publish my book later, how do I unpublish my book with Power Publishers, or terminate the contract with you? Do you charge anything for that? Do I get any partial refund?
- How many copies do you print?
- What will be the retail/printed price of my book? Who will decide that?
- Do I earn royalty on extra books I order?
- How do I pay?
- NEWSPAPER REVIEWS: To which newspapers do you send copies of published books for review? Do they get reviewed? When do you send the book for review? How can I track them?
- Till when can I make changes to the manuscript I have submitted?
- Can I see what is going to the press?
- Can I suggest the cover design, or send my own cover design?
- Can I call or mail the editorial and design team during the production?
- Is there a publisher-author agreement we sign?
- Do I have to visit your office and meet you, to publish my book?
- How long will my book be available in the market?
- What should I do if I receive the parcel of complimentary copies in damaged condition?
- When will my book be available on Amazon, Flipkart, ebay, Crossword.in, Infibeam, etc. online stores as mentioned on Power Publishers website?
- What should be kept in mind for translated books?
- Can I make changes in the book after it is published?
- How do I track the sales of my book and when do I get royalty?
1. What is the meaning of on demand publishing?
Self publishing, or on demand publishing implies page layout, designing, illustrating, printing, marketing and distribution of books whenever you want it, in the same way as traditional publishers, without keeping you waiting; and without humiliating you with rejection of your manuscript.
Anyone who wants to establish her/his name as an author.
- Life coaches, motivators, trainers
- Professional training institutions
- Teachers, professors
- First time authors
- Young writers
- Writers who have a very specialized subject, with a very specific market
In approximately 14 days, from the time we have the computer typed, proofread manuscript and your payment with us. 14 days does not include the time for proofreading and/or typesetting if you have included these.
Self publish print on demand has a flurry of reasons or objectives. Here are six reasons why self-publish print on demand might prove just right for you.
Time saving factor with direct publishing
Traditional publishing is time-consuming. It takes a prolonged 18 month period to complete the production cycle. Unlike the traditional method, publish on demand services are ready within 2 weeks for the readers.
The book completes your publishing demands
Being an author, you will want your book look exactly the way you pictured Publish on demand services empowers you with the full control on how your book should be printed and directed. The best thing is you have the right to organize the entire set up of the book you want. No one except you can have the decisions made for publishing.
You can preserve rights to your books post publishing
Traditional publishing house snatches the rights to your books once you entrust them with the responsibility of publishing. In such case, self publish print on demand helps you to own rights of your books. Sometimes, you cannot rely on a publishing house since they can stop publishing abruptly for reasons and to keep consistency of the publishing process you have to buy back the rights from the house. Precisely, the books on demand publishing formula can only help you preserve the rights to your books.
Experimenting the market with self publishing formula
With self-publishing formula, you can experiment the market by targeting a niche of the mass. This will help in self-assessment of your ideas, concept and experiment of self publishing. It will help you determine how well your book will be accepted by readers.
A niche target
If your book targets a niche market, then there is no objective in relying on a big publishing house.
Power Publishers follows the complete process of the production of book and the designing till the end to ensure a complete book. Its strength lies in professionalism and total help in the process of self publish print. Power Publishers offers you different packages for choosing the right production process, and you pick the one that suits your demands.
But first you have to submit your publishing materials which incorporate the ordering information, the text for both inside and outside of the book in a complete word-processing format and the images that you would like to include both for cover page and in the interior. The images can be given in digital or hard copies.
These are the outlines to help Power Publishers with the whole designing of your book. Next, Power publishers will:
•Send to you a soft copy of the print-ready book and cover design. Review it carefully.
•Ask for your approval.
•Then, it will be published and brought into circulation for readers all over the country and the world.
•Give you royalties against each book sold.
You own right to your books as long as you want. Power Publishers is just your assistant. It has the technology of saving copies and finding publication as many as it wants. Remember, that your books are are always available in the market as long as you are with us.
- You would earn 35% royalty on books sold directly through Power Publishers, and 15% royalty on books sold through other outlets. This amount would be paid to you trimonthly along with statement of sales. For example, if your book is priced Rs 200, and 500 copies are sold, 200 copies directly through Power Publishers, and 300 through other outlets, you would earn Rs 23,000 as royalty on sales.
- You would receive 10 – 30 complimentary copies (depending on scheme chosen) worth around Rs 15,000 on an average.
- You would get a website made for you, in your name, worth Rs 5,000 which would become an asset for you.
- You would establish yourself as a published author, which would help you increase your professional rate/fees/salary, earn more respect in society, get preference professionally, get preference as a candidate in a job. This would result in huge indirect financial benefits.
Not, at all. Many publishing houses are vying for a grab of self-published books. Many of our authors, whose books became major hits got noticed by large conventional publishing houses and they approached them to republish or publish the next book with them.
Yes, copyright of your work remains with you or your nominated relative. King package has copyright registration included. In other packages you can add copyright registration on extra payment.
By default no logo appears in the book, as it is self published by the author. But if you want your logo to appear in your book as the publisher, that is okay with us.
Yes, the author has 100% film rights for her/his book. The author has the full right to deal with any filmmaker, or film production company; sign deal with them and sell the film rights, without us stepping in. The author does not have to share her/his earning from selling movie rights with us. This means, if a filmmaker gets interested to make a movie out of your book and wants to deal with you; you have the full freedom to step into such a deal, without us poking our nose and if you earn for example Rs 10 lakhs from it, it is all yours.
This is in sharp contrast with many other publishing companies and at least one other self publishing company based in Mumbai, (who pretend to be a conventional publisher but are a self publishing company in disguise) who make the authors sign a contract of 50% -50% revenue sharing from film / movie rights (we have document evidence). This means nothing as of now, but if a movie is indeed made from your book, you will feel very unhappy to share 50% of your earnings with your publisher. With us, you retain 100% of your earning from this front.
Authors who have resorted to publish print on demand at some point of their career:
Amish (The Immortals of Meluha), E L James (Fifty Shades of Grey), Rudyard Kipling, Stephen King, Walt Whitman, Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, James Joyce, Benjamin Franklin, Anthony Hope (The Prisoner of Zenda and its sequel Rupert of Hentzau), D. H. Lawrence, Edgar Allan Poe, Carl Sandburg, George Bernard Shaw, James Redfield.
Presently we are offering publishing, distribution and promotion support for only English, Hindi and Bengali language books, as we do not publish without a content check.
13. Why do I come to Power Publishers instead of printing my book myself from a local printing press?
Printing a book by yourself and getting it published with a total package of editorial, design, sales, marketing and distribution support are quite different. If you were to draw comparison between your local press and power publishers, then you can realize the differences. Have a glance below:
Your Local Printing Press/Printing Your Book Yourself: Local printing presses are just printing presses. They will not help you with the selling and marketing of the books. Nor with the editorial, design and illustration requirements. They will make you order and deliver you all the books printed, which is a truckload and will occupy your living space, and add to your frustration. You have to suffice with the one-time service provided by them; they do not offer after sales service. Promoting, selling and distributing your book after that is an uphill task that requires specialized skill, experience and network.
Power Publishers: On the other hand, Power Publishers charges you reasonably providing you a complete package of editing, designing, illustrations, printing, marketing, distribution/selling and even sending your books to literary award committees. Power Publishers also offers flexibility to choose the scheme that fits your pocket.
It caters to selling of the books and provides support during pre and post publishing processes. Power Publishers also helps you get noticed by readers by offering search engine optimization service (offered with certain packages). You can count on Power Publishers for payment of quarterly royalty, support forever, registration of copyright, marketing support, editorial support, selling of books, website creation support and distribution support. Power Publishers also comes from Power Media and Entertainment Group; one of the most trusted service providers, operating several important websites (see about us).
Power Publishers are the best when you need self publish print on demand. Count on them to get your book customized yet well marketed in safe hands with your direction and vision.
We publish almost all type of books except the following. As a policy we do not publish the following types of books:
- Plagiarized, or copied books. If the submitted manuscript has copied content, copy-pasted from other books, websites, blogs, etc; even if parts of it; it does not qualify as an original work. Power Publishers publishes only original works. If the manuscript has copied content, those portions will have to be removed or rewritten in original words. Power Publishers runs Copyscape test for each book to check for plagiarism, and books with copied content get disqualified for publication.
- Pornographic or obscene books.
- Books propagating the ideology of terrorist groups, anti-government in content or against the interest of the nation.
- Books containing personal attacks, allegations or hatred towards real person(s), organization(s) or communities, books containing legal case histories & solicitations of past, presently continuing or planned future litigation with real person(s), organization(s) or communities.
- Books that postulate, propagate or promote superstition and superstitious thinking, like astrology books, books on palmistry, feng shui, black magic, horoscopes, numerology, Vastu Shastra and other forms of megic remedies.
Sure you can. Every book launching event / program / function / ceremony organized by the author, should be communicated to us (the publisher) and our advice about the date for such an event should be taken. There should be enough gap from the expected publication date and the actual event / ceremony date, to avoid a last minute rush for a hurried publication. It would be most advisable to receive your complimentary copies in your hand and then announce the launching event date. If you want help in arranging such a launch event, please let us know.
Please note, that we are not obligated to send additional copies to the venue bookstore for the launch event on credit. You can either give the bookstore (which is the venue of your launch event) copies for the event from your complementary copies, or if we have to directly supply them, the price of additional copies to be supplied has to be paid in advance, less the standard discount. Requisition of additional copies for the launch event has to be communicated to us well in advance.
Default size is: 5.5 inches X 8.5 inches.
Other optional sizes are: 5 inches X 7 inches; 7 inch X 10 inches (large) and 8.5 inches X 11 inches (large). Large sizes are considered as double sized books and 75 pages of a large size book equal to 150 pages of a normal / default sized book.
We believe in maintaining the essence of your original work and so do not believe in drastically changing it by editing. Our editorial advisers will go through your work for an evaluation and suggest you whether an editing and proofreading is recommended for your book or not. Based on the feedback, you may or may not decide to go for our optional editing and proofreading service. This service is included in King package and optional in Queen package and need not be ordered separately. Click here to know more about this.
Yes, if your book is handwritten. No, if your book is computer typed and an editable soft copy is available.
Video book trailers are the latest book marketing sensation in the publishing industry. They have been proven to create bestsellers. The Shiva Trilogy (Meluha, Secret of the Nagas, etc.) by Amish became bestsellers with the help of video book trailers. They are 1 – 2 minute short films that carry the essence of your book, just like a feature film trailer, and generate curiosity about your book among the viewers. Created using scripting, stock video footage and stills, they make the book come alive like a movie. They are released on Youtube, Facebook and other social media. If the trailers are liked, people share them with friends and become a national sensation with hundreds/thousands of viewers. It is a smart investment to create smart bestsellers. You can take a look at some of our samples by clicking this link.
Offset and digital. Offset for larger quantity printing and digital for short run.
A business card, sometimes also known as ‘visiting card’, which we provide to our authors, is a 2 inch X 3.5 inch card bearing your name, contact details, image of your book cover with info about where it is available from. The aim is that when you offer business cards to your clients and people who know you, you are not only handing over your contact details, but also making them aware that you are the author of a certain book, along with the information about where it is available from.
We provide you with several posters about your book. Size is A3 (double the size of an A4 page). It is a blowup of the front cover design, with the price and availability info. This is how you can use the posters:
- If you are organizing a book launch event, you can place the posters in the venue, at the entrance, on the stage, etc.
- If you are a student, you can build awareness by dangling the posters on notice boards of your college or school.
- You can distribute your complimentary copies in your local bookstores. Give each local bookstore a poster of your book and request them to hang it at the entrance, or at a prominent place.
In Word format (.doc file or .docx file), Pagemaker format, etc. If your book has tables, graphs, charts or plenty of photos/images, please convert your manuscript to the default size of a book (5.5 inches X 8.5 inches, or A5 page size) before you mail your manuscript to us. The text area is 3.9 inches X 6.7 inches. Tables, images, photos, illustrations, charts, etc. must be re-sized and should not be larger than the text area / page margins. If your tables, graphs and images are large, you can go for a large, double sized book (see sizes under point # 16 of this page).
- Book page size: 5.5 inches X 8.5 inches, or A5.
- Text area: 3.9 inches X 6.7 inches.
24. If a major conventional publisher wants to publish my book later, how do I unpublish my book with Power Publishers, or terminate the contract with you? Do you charge anything for that? Do I get any partial refund?
You are free to move out if you get better offers, by just sending us a mail. We shall be happy with you. No questions would be asked. No compensation would be claimed by us from you. There are no refunds either for payments you have made, in case you decide to terminate your contract anytime. We the publisher shall terminate the contract and withdraw the book without any refund if the book is, after publication, found to be plagiarized, or copied from another book.
That does not really matter. It is our duty to keep the book available to readers for 2 years (after which you can renew only the distribution for a nominal annual cost) and we print in sufficient numbers to keep in available in the market for 2 years. If your books are all sold off, we will reprint it at our own cost to make it available in the market.
The printed price of your book will depend on factors like the length of your book (no. of pages), color pages if any, type of binding, paper quality, additional cover page decorations etc. Once we see the manuscript or if you let us know the number of words, we can calculate and confirm you the retail/printed price of your book within a few hours.
No. Your royalty is given to you as ‘author’s discount’ for extra copies you order directly from us. However, if you order copies from other outlets like Flipkart.com, etc, without a special discount, then you will earn normal royalty.
Please click here to visit the payment page, that offers multiple options for payment.
29. NEWSPAPER REVIEWS: To which newspapers do you send copies of published books for review? Do they get reviewed? When do you send the book for review? How can I track them?
If your package includes the Newspaper Review feature, as soon as your book is published, your book will be sent for review to the Book Review section of 5 or 3 leading newspapers.
- English books are sent for review to The Times of India, Hindustan Times, Indian Express, The Hindu and The Telegraph or Deccan Chronicle.
- Hindi books are sent for review to Navbharat Times, Dainik Bhaskar, Dainik Jagaran, Sanmarg and Jansatta.
- Bengali / Bangla books are sent for review to Anandabazar Patrika, Ei Samay, Bartaman, Desh and Sananda. However it is not written on stone. You can also suggest names of newspapers you would want covered instead of the ones in our list.
Within a week after the publication date of your book, these Newspaper Offices will receive one copy each, free of cost, all courier charges paid. We provide you the proof of dispatch and the courier tracking number.
While we are committed to send 5 or 3 books to 5 or 3 newspapers for review, we do not guarantee that a review would be published. But yes, many of our books have been reviewed and new reviews are added each month – depends on the merit and quality of the book. As we are publishing a huge number of books every month, it is not practically possible for our team to track all the newspapers in India every day. We would need your help here – please do inform us as soon as you see the review of your book coming out in these newspapers. We regularly update our Facebook page with latest press coverage and book reviews coming out in newspapers. Please click here to check out our Facebook page for this purpose.
Till you have approved it for printing. No changes are possible after your approval of the manuscript and cover design for printing; since these are sent to the press immediately on your approval by email. Changes if any, are however possible later, when the next edition is published, after the first edition is exhausted or if you go for book revision service after publication. See details by clicking here.
Sure you can. The soft copy of the print ready version of your book and book cover would be shown to you before sending to press. These would be sent to press with your approval.
Your suggestions about the cover design would be accepted with importance before our artists and designers start designing your cover. If you have designed your own cover, feel free to send it. We don’t mind using it, if it matches our quality and technical standards. Please know the specifications from the editorial team before you send your own cover.
IMPORTANT: In case you send your own cover design, please make sure you own the copyright of the photo(s) or artwork used on the cover, or use copyright-free images. If someone else owns the copyright of the images used on the cover, please send us the permission of the copyright holder of the cover images in writing. The same applies for photos or images used inside the book. It may be noted that images freely available on the internet are not free to use – someone or the other owns copyright of these images. It is advisable to use photos either clicked by you, or drawn by your paid artist, or purchased from stockphoto sites, or downloaded from copyright-free stockphoto websites.
You are encouraged to mail us your instructions. At any given time we are producing around 30 books simultaneously; so our editorial team receives an average of around 100 phone calls a day. You can presume it slows down the work and breaks the concentration of the editorial team to receive so many instructions from various authors over phone. That is why you are encouraged to send your special instructions by mail to email@example.com. Every instruction would be read with importance. Please mention EDITORIAL TEAM in the subject line. Just in case you have something really urgent to convey, our editorial phone numbers are given in our contact page.
Whenever you are submitting your manuscript through our submission form to start the publication process, you are agreeing to our terms, which is given in this link https://www.power-publishers.com/about-us/legal-policies/terms-a-conditions
That is the publisher-author agreement and every author who publishes through us has to agree to the terms to get the publishing process started. If you want to separately sign the same on paper, we can do so.
No, it is not necessary or important to visit our office or meet us, to publish your book. Our system is designed in a way that you can sit back at your place and relax, while we handle all the publishing and post-publishing activities. All correspondence can be done by email and phone. Manuscript can be submitted by email. Contract can be sent by courier. Your copies will reach you by courier. You will get all updates from us by mail and phone. 95% of our authors do not have to visit our office. However you are very welcome to visit us, if you want. You are welcome to meet us at our head office, with an appointment, and discuss your book over a cup of tea or coffee.
As long as you wish to remain with us; meaning till you withdraw it from us; or for 2 years after publication, after that as long as stocks last.
While the parcel is in transit, you may use the courier tracking number to track its whereabouts. When you are expecting the parcel to arrive, do remember to receive the parcel yourself.
We take utmost care in packaging and dispatching your books to your address via the best courier services in the country, so that they reach you on time, in good shape. Almost 100% of all books reach our delighted authors with no trouble. We use the services of our logistics partners like DTDC, DHL, Speed Post etc for sending books. It is the duty of the respective courier company to reach the books to you in good condition. Before the Courier delivery guy leaves, inspect the parcel carefully and make sure there is no major visible damage. DO NOT receive a parcel that is damaged or tampered, wet, torn or broken with books spilling out etc. If you find your parcel damaged as described above, please (A) Take a photo of the damaged parcel; (B) DO NOT receive the parcel – ask the courier delivery boy to take it back; (C) Send the photo to us as evidence. As soon as we receive your communication, we shall immediately take up the issue with the courier service, and make arrangements to send you a new set of books in a fresh parcel.
Please remember – if you receive the parcel, it implies that you agree and are satisfied with the delivery. Courier services do not accept complaints if clients have received a damaged parcel and THEN sends us a mail with the complaint.
Printing and binding errors: In the unlikely case you notice printing or binding errors after receiving and opening the parcel, please bring it to our notice. Our editorial team will investigate the issue immediately. If it is found that what has been printed is what you had approved, then we cannot help, because you had approved this to be printed. If it is found that what has been printed or bound is significantly different from what you had approved; or the pages are in wrong order due to binding issue, we shall take responsibility. In that case please send back the copies you have and we shall be happy to replace the number of copies you send back, with correctly printed and bound copies. We shall replace the exact number of copies you send back.
38. When will my book be available on Amazon, Flipkart, ebay, Crossword.in, Infibeam, etc. online stores as mentioned on Power Publishers website?
Your book will be available on these stores almost immediately after it is published! On or before the publication date, you will receive an email from us. Sometimes stores like Infibeam, Flipkart take about 3-4 days to update their inventory data after publication – but the delay is never a reason to worry – they always make it available within 3-4 days from the publication date.
If you are submitting a translated book, make sure you have the permission in writing from the author of the original work, or the copyright holder of the original work, if the author of the original book is dead. Please note that even if an author is dead, the copyright of a book remains with the close relatives of the author till 60 years after the death of the author, after which the copyright becomes free, and you are free to publish or translate her/his work without seeking anyone’s permission.
If the author wants changes (from the 1st edition) in the 2nd or subsequent editions; that can be done, if the changes are doable. However, it is chargable to carry out any changes, unless the author himself/herself submits a 100% print ready version with all the changes. The 2nd edition is printed only when all copies of the 1st edition are sold off. Changes if any, are however possible without waiting for the 1st edition to be all sold, if you go for book revision service after publication. See details by clicking here.
We have introduced our revolutionary Author’s Dashboard feature with Live Sales Report and royalty withdrawal option by our authors. Simply log in to http://crm.power-publishers.com and see live sales data any day, any time. It is updated after the dispatch of each book.