Terms & Conditions
AUTHOR – SELF-PUBLISHER AGREEMENT OVER A BOOK
The author of the book, hereby understands and agrees to the following terms:
1. The author is submitting the manuscript of a book or books in his/her own will to Power Publishers for the purpose of pre-press activities, printing, distribution and promotion.
2. Power Publisher will print and bring into circulation, the manuscript being submitted by the author, within 4 weeks of the author’s payment getting cleared. The book is sent to press if there are no dues from the author. This will not include the time taken for the books to reach the author by post/courier. In the case of reasons beyond anyone’s control – like government-imposed lockdown, unavailability of paper, flood, acute power crisis, festival holidays, strike of press workers, etc. the publication will take longer than usual. The book can be published in 4 weeks if author approves book and book cover design for printing, within 24 hours of getting the print-ready version of the book and cover design from us. 4 weeks does not include the time taken for typesetting and proofreading, if proofreading and/or typesetting are included, additional time would be required.
3. The author can expect the services from Power Publishers that are listed in Power Publishers website www.Power-Publishers.com, under the package the author has selected (also given in APPENDIX of this contract).
4. Additional services not listed in the selected package are available on additional payment .
5. The author of the book, or his/her nominated family member will be the copyright holder of the book.
6. The book cannot be printed and distributed by two different companies in the same language and the same country at the same time. The author can however withdraw the book from Power Publishers any time, if the book is selected for publication by any conventional publisher, or for other reasons. There will be no fee for doing this; however, he/she must inform Power Publishers by email, so that Power Publishers stops selling and enlisting this book. There will be no refund made from Power Publishers for the author withdrawing a book or withholding publication.
7. Power Publishers takes no responsibility of the content of the book. The views expressed in the book are solely those of the author and the printer & distributor Power Publishers has nothing to do with the ownership of the content. The printer and distributor will not be a party with the author if any lawsuit arises from the content of the book. Power Publishers may withdraw the book if any lawsuit / legal proceedings happen regarding the content of the book or for other reasons. If any lawsuit arises from the book and Power Publishers is by any chance made a part of it, the author will pay the legal expenses, fines, compensation if any applicable on Power Publishers.
8. The author assures that this work is original and not exactly the same as any other literature written by someone else, ruling out the possibilities of any copyright issues with other authors. In case the book is found to be plagiarized, or copied, Power Publishers will have the right to withdraw the book from circulation with no refund.
9. The author assures that he/she owns the right/copyright of all the images and photos used inside the book. No image can be used for which the author does not own the copyright. Power Publishers will not be a party of any lawsuit arising, if any, for anyone challenging the use of copyrighted photo/image in the book, and Power Publishers may withdraw the book if any such lawsuit / legal proceedings happen about the use of copyrighted image/photo. If any lawsuit arises from the book in this regard and Power Publishers is by any chance made a part of it, the author will pay the legal expenses, fines, compensation if any applicable on Power Publishers.
10. The author assures that his/her book is not among the 5 categories of books Power Publishers does not print and distribute:
•10.1 Plagiarized, or copied books. If the submitted manuscript has copied content, copy-pasted from other books, websites, blogs, etc; even if parts of it; it does not qualify as an original work. Power Publishers publishes only original works. If the manuscript has copied content, those portions will have to be removed or rewritten in original words. Power Publishers runs Copyscape test for each book to check for plagiarism, and books with copied content get disqualified for publication.
•10.2 Pornographic or obscene books.
•10.3 Books propagating the ideology of terrorist groups, anti-government in content or against the interest of the nation.
•10.4 Books containing personal attacks, allegations or hatred towards real person(s), organization(s) or communities, books containing legal case histories & solicitations of past, presently continuing or planned future litigation with real person(s), organization(s) or communities.
•10.5 Books that postulate, propagate or promote superstition and superstitious thinking, like astrology books, books on palmistry, feng shui, black magic, horoscopes, numerology, Vastu Shastra and other forms of magic remedies.
11. The author can resell the books he/she receives as complementary copies from Power Publishers.
12. The book will be available through Power Publishers website anytime for buyers, as long as it is with Power Publishers. Buyers will be able to buy online, by making NEFT/credit/debit card/netbanking payment or by cheque payment.
13. The author will be able to make changes to his/her book till he/she has approved the book to be printed. No changes are possible once the book is in press. Changes are however possible in the next printed version/edition, after the ready stock of her/his books get sold and completed. If the author-approved version which is going to the press has mistakes, the mistakes will be there in the printed version, and Power Publishers will not be responsible for those; that is why it is recommended that the author checks the final print-ready version carefully before approving for print. If the author wants changes in the book after it is printed, additional “book revision charges” are payable.
14. The author can suggest changes to the inside of the book before it is sent for printing twice; or two rounds of changes are permissible. Requests for further changes after the 2nd request are chargeable. In each round, the author can send a complete list of changes he/she wants.
15. One round of minor changes is allowed on the cover design and the cover design is made from the suggestions sent initially by the author. If the author dismisses the cover design and asks for a completely new design from a new idea after presentation of the 1st draft design, it will be treated as a new cover and cover design charges are chargeable.
16. Power Publishers logo and name will appear on the book as publisher.
17. The author can also separately promote and advertise the book to build awareness and increase sales.
18. The author can sell movie rights for this book to any filmmaker or movie producer any time without having to take permission of Power Publishers. Power Publishers will have no say in this matter.
19. The author can get this book translated in any other language and publish translated version of this book in the same country without seeking permission of Power Publishers.
20. The publishing package fee (payable by the author) is a one time cost, and the publishing package fee will not have to be paid again for the same book, in case the book is reprinted again due to high demand. The distribution of the book is included for 1 year. On the 2nd year if the book has to be made available for distribution, a small annual distribution fee is applicable from the 2nd year onwards.
21. GST at the rate of 18% chargeable extra on all publishing packages and services, as per Government of India rules. There is no GST on the sale of books, as per govt. of India rules.
22. Cancellations of order if any, have to be made within 72 hours of ordering and payment. No requests for refund will be entertained after that.
23. Power Publishers depends on 3rd party companies like Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, Shopclues, Readwhere, etc for distribution of the books. If a book is unavailable through a certain 3rd party website or websites, which is/are included in a package, for some reason, Power Publishers will make all possible efforts to make it available there. However, since Power Publishers does not own these 3rd party companies and websites, there are limitations to the level of control over them, and if a 3rd party website changes their policies or business pattern, or interest area, which results in Power Publishers failing to make a book available in that website within 1 month of publication; Power Publishers will make it available from an alternative outlet.
24. Shipping or postage charges will apply on delivery of books ordered. Shipping charges differ from outlet to outlet. Only complimentary author copies are sent free of shipping cost.
25. The distribution and availability of the book in different outlets is included for 1 year from publication. After 1 year an annual distribution renewal cost is payable to renew availability for another year.
26. Power Publishers will pay ‘royalty’ to the author, which is a percentage of the MRP (maximum retail price, or printed price) of the book, multiplied by the actual sales figures. The royalty percentage is mentioned in the scheme selected. Royalty amount is directly related to the number of books sold. Royalty will be paid from time to time, following the sales report. Sales reports can be seen live from the author’s dashboard and royalty report can be generated by the author. The first sales report can be generated 3 months after publication and thereafter once every 3 months. If no books are sold, no royalty becomes due to the author.
27. The author agrees that MRP / printed retail price of the book will be decided by Power Publishers considering multiple factors like the number of pages, size of the book, color pages if any, type of binding, no. of images or illustrations used, additional cover decoration, popularity of subject, etc. Power Publishers’s decision in this regard will be reasonable, at par with the country’s standards and final. No request to modify or alter the maximum retail price can be made, or will be entertained.
28. If the parcel of complimentary copies arrives damaged: While the parcel is in transit, you may use the courier tracking number to track its whereabouts. When you are expecting the parcel to arrive, do remember to receive the parcel yourself. We take utmost care in packaging and dispatching your books to your address via the best courier services in the country, so that they reach you on time, in good shape. Almost 100% of all books reach our delighted authors with no trouble. We use the services of our logistics partners like DTDC, DHL, Speed Post etc for sending books. It is the duty of the respective courier company to reach the books to you in good condition. Before the Courier delivery guy leaves, inspect the parcel carefully and make sure there is no major visible damage. DO NOT receive a parcel that is damaged or tampered, wet, torn or broken with books spilling out etc. If you find your parcel damaged as described above, please (A) Take a photo of the damaged parcel; (B) DO NOT receive the parcel – ask the courier delivery boy to take it back; (C) Send the photo to us as evidence. As soon as we receive your communication, we shall immediately take up the issue with the courier service, and make arrangements to send you a new set of books in a fresh parcel. Please remember – if you receive the parcel, it implies that you agree and are satisfied with the delivery. Courier services do not accept complaints if clients have received a damaged parcel and THEN sends us a mail with the complaint. Printing and binding errors: In the unlikely case you notice printing or binding errors after receiving and opening the parcel, please bring it to our notice. Our editorial team will investigate the issue immediately. If it is found that what has been printed is what you had approved to be printed, then we cannot help, because you had approved this to be printed. In that case the best we can do it bring out a corrected edition once the first edition is all sold. If it is found that what has been printed or bound is significantly different from what you had approved for printing; or the pages are in wrong order due to a binding issue, we shall take responsibility. In that case please send back only the copies you have that have these issues, and we shall be happy to replace the number of copies you send back, with correctly printed and bound copies within 14 days of receiving the returned copies. We shall replace the exact number of copies that you send us back, if they are found to have these issues.
29. Photos of the author, the book cover, any events related to the book, or its launch, scans / photos of newspaper reviews, articles related to the book can be used by Power Publishers for advertisement campaigns in online news portals, Power Publishers Facebook page or on the website of Power Publishers.
30. Power Publishers will maintain confidentiality of the manuscript, till it is printed and distributed by Power Publishers, and avoid misuse of the manuscript.
31. Any part payments made towards any publishing project should be utilized within 1 year of payment, after which the part payment cannot be utilized towards the project. If the author comes back after more than 1 year of starting, to complete the publishing process, the new, existing rates will apply and full payment has to be made at existing rates.
32. Disputes arising if any, can be resolved by mails and phone calls or by arbitration. If these efforts fail, all legal actions are subject to jurisdictions of courts of Kolkata, India.
Both the parties do hereby agree to the terms laid and set above.
Author (signature) Publisher (signature)